According to a recent report, there have already been 37 drowning and 38 near-drowning incidents across the country this year. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is kicking off its Pool Safely: Simple Steps Save Lives campaign, which highlights various water safety tips. One of the most important tips is to never let your child out of your sight when they are near water. But in order to do this, you first need to make sure that the windows and doors in your home are secured to prevent your child from wandering outside without your knowledge.
Many parents underestimate their child’s ability to “escape” from the home silently and quickly. My childproofing company, Safety Mom Solutions Babyproofing, works with clients to create safe zones in the home. These are secured areas where your child will always be in your line of sight. Parents of autistic children should be particularly vigilant in monitoring windows and doors and they tend to wander and be attracted to water – a potentially deadly combination.
Here are a few things to consider:
• Install an automatic door closer and second lock on any doors leading outside.
• Install window stops, window guards or window wedges on all windows to prevent them from being opened more than 4″ from the bottom.
• Install a slider door lock on any patio door leading out to a pool or hot tub.
• Consider installing sensors on all windows and doors so you will be alerted when one is opened.
• Don’t forget about “doggy doors.” An average size 3 year-old can crawl through a standard size doggy door.
Safety Mom Solutions Babyproofing provides home safety consultations and will install the safest child safety products available. We service Fairfield, CT, Westchester, NY, New York City and Long Island.